Servers & Microservices Specialist Job at NBC
Servers & Microservices Specialist Job at NBC. NBC Bank – National Bank of Commerce
Dar es Salaam
NBC is the oldest serving bank in Tanzania with over five decades of experience. We offer a range of retail, business, corporate and investment banking, wealth management products and services.
- The prime responsibility is maintaining the availability and reliability of micro services architecture for IT to effectively meet service level targets in accordance with planned business objectives.
- To take full responsibility for the oversight and convergence of all operations that are involved in the focusing, on a Standard Build for Mirco Services environment.
- To participate in all aspects of the Deployment life cycle which includes estimating, technical design, implementation, documentation, testing, deployment and support of application developed for our clients.
- To manage implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of all infrastructure Servers to enable the use of appropriate platform technology, as an integral and reliable component of business process within country.
- Drive convergence of technologies, ensure delivery of technology projects associated with infrastructure services Servers, Database & Storage, liaise, and negotiate with internal customers and technology vendors.
- Designs and documents server architecture.
- Assesses malfunctions of hardware and/or software applications for the purpose of determining appropriate actions to maintain computer, network, and database operations.
- Analyzes and sustains capacity and performance requirements.
- Monitors systems and platforms for availability.
- Oversees backup, clustering, mirroring, replication and failover.
- Performs maintenance operations daily, weekly and monthly on Server infrastructure (Redhat, Windows, etc).
- Evaluates and recommends new server technologies.
- Implements and maintains server security and encryption.
- Develops, manages and tests microservice system backup and recovery plans.
- Develops standards and policies for data entry and ensures compliance.
- Prepares written materials for the purpose of documenting activities, reference, and/or conveying information.
- Prepares and distributes reports, including but not limited to weekly and monthly status reports to the IT Operations Director.
- Attends seminars, conferences, in-service training and staff meetings as required.
- Manages virtual and physical servers with Windows Server and RHEL operating systems.
- Manages Active Directory, Microsoft Office 365, and server and workstation patching with SCCM.
- Be familiar with MS SQL server, windows clustering, domain controller setup, and group policy.
- Ensure the security of the server infrastructure by implementing industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Develop and maintain documentation about current environment setup, standard operating procedures, and best practices.
- Perform and test routine system backups and restores.
- Practice server asset management, including maintenance of server component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware upgrades, patches and reconfigurations.
- Develop required reports in response to business user and management needs.
- Manage the physical environment of the server racks including cable management, documentation, labeling, and configuration of KVM switching for console and remote access.
- Build and deploy new servers on the network as needed.
- Timely installation firmware and security patches on servers and microservice infrastructure.
- Actively participates in planning the installation of new organization-wide systems and applications.
- Ensures maximum service through identification of opportunities for improvement and make new recommendations.
- Continuous review and evaluation of the software, hardware, service delivery, and updates as and when required.
- Maintains a data standard and security measures through the implementation of information technology plans, policies, and standards.
- Troubleshoots, and has a quick understanding of the problem and its resolution, restoration of data, rectify the issue and minimize the damage.
- Actively attends and participates in the professional group meetings. Thus, acquire knowledge of the new and upcoming trends and innovations in the IT field.
- Monitor the changes in regulations, technology, and its impact on operations and implement the new or better ones as required.
- Continuously research on the emerging products and enhancements. Accordingly, execute special projects for remodeling and upgrade.
- Promote and develop both tactical and strategic ways to drive productivity and efficiency within the core responsibility areas.
- Analyze effectiveness of processes, systems and technologies used in the department and make recommendations for improvements.
- Understand our customers’ needs and pursue the success of our clients, enabling effortless delivery.
- Articulates business strategy and vision, and is able to translate vision into objectives, for the greater team, in order to reach desired end state.
- Coordinate the efforts of the different operational areas under management to ensure minimal duplication of efforts, maximum efficiency and maximize value for money.
- Take actions to achieve reductions in frequency and duration of incidents that impact NBC servers and microservice availability.
- Ensure shortfalls in NBC servers & microservice availability are recognized and appropriate corrective actions are identified and progressed.
- Take action on agreed appropriate actions with Head of Infrastructure services to maintain or improve GTIS servers & microservice availability levels.
- Maintain awareness of technology advancements and best practices that support NBC infrastructure availability.
- Review performance of the area/unit against balanced scorecard components as prescribed by the Executive, discuss gaps and agree action plans to close gaps.
- Provide and maintain detailed backup and recovery procedures by ensuring that daily and monthly backups on supported servers are performed.
- Kubernetes/OpenShift administration (installation, patching, migration, application on-boarding, SSL certificates deployment, configuring ingress controllers, integrating with load balancers, storage solutions, container registry, CI/CD tools, integrating with identity management tools, integrating with vaults, etc).
- Work in Operations team during office hours and on call as required.
- Configuring/administering monitoring tools (Prometheus, Grafana, similar tools) on Kubernetes/OpenShift clusters.
Logging Tools (EFK Stack, similar tools) administration.
Kubernetes/OpenShift administration (Installation, Patching, migration, application on-boarding, SSL certificates deployment, configuring ingress controllers, integrating with load balancers, storage solutions, container registry, CI/CD tools, integrating with identity management tools, integrating with vaults, etc).
Configuring/administering monitoring tools (Prometheus, Grafana, similar tools) on Kubernetes/OpenShift clusters.
Logging Tools (EFK Stack, similar tools) administration.
Container Native Storage tools (NFS, Gluster FS, PortWorx, Ceph, etc) administration.
Knowledge with Hypervisors and Kubernetes, docker would be an added advantage.
Maintaining lab environment to assess technical solutions and support SDN and NFV product POC testing.
Shell Scripting and Software development experience, including API development (REST, XML, etc.).
Adhering to SLAs.
ITIL Processes awareness and adherence.
Handling tickets / requests.
Perform root cause analysis.
Defining processes and ensuring that the processes are adhered to.
Manage risk and compliance
- Together with Risk and Compliance team, review and address the key risk and compliance challenges identified and surveilled.
- Together with the Risk and Compliance team implement measures to address notable risks and regulatory challenges.
- Implement measures to review the risk and compliance performance of the unit/function on a regular basis and take corrective action.
- Complete all relevant Management Assurance or Risk reports and attestations as required.
- Ensure that processes, control requirements and risk management frameworks that impact the area are documented and understood by all team members.
- Work with Internal Audit and Management Assurance during the scoping of audits to ensure fair coverage.
- Own and agree corrective action items with Internal Audit and Management Assurance for findings related to the functional area under management.
- Arrange issue assurance for closed audit findings.
- Complete required compliance and SOX attestations and ensure that impacted team members complete their attestations.
- Ensure that the team understands all compliance requirements and call for the area’s Compliance Officer to conduct briefing sessions if gaps are identified.
- Work with managers/professionals in the team, develop Detailed Risk and Control Assessments (DRACA’s) for the function and update at the required intervals (normally quarterly). Complete attestations to testify to the adequacy of controls on request.
- Ensure that managers/team leaders in the team understand their responsibilities in terms of risk and compliance, build relationships with country IT Risk and Governance team and provide support wherever required.
- Contribute and deliver to the improvement of the risk profile by delivering improved governance, risk management, controls and compliance requirements.
- Ensure the security controls under servers and Database are within the agreed thresholds.
Drive Service Levels
- Increase revenue potential for the business by effectively managing service levels of critical applications.
- Minimize time-to-resolution (TTR) of business service disruptions through fast real-time root cause analysis that spans complex multi-tiered application environments.
- Minimize cost of IT infrastructure through optimizing delivery and performance of business services.
- Raise the profile of the team as a key service provider to the relevant business units, serving as its customer.
Adhere to and chair governance structures and frameworks to ensure effective customer management including actively participating in all internal client reviews from a service perspective.
- Where applicable, and within control, external vendors also need to be effectively managed.
- Implement actions resulting from formalised service reviews (including questionnaires, production reporting, loss event reporting, etc.).
- Continuously monitor service levels and implement tactical measures to improve customer satisfaction.
- Build and maintain effective stakeholder relationships within the Bank to understand the business needs and changes in customer needs.
- Participate in Bank wide forums and governance structures as required or directed.
- Communicate and track the achievement of Service levels (documented in Service Level Agreements) on an ongoing basis and take corrective action as required.
- Manage the operational teams to ensure they deliver reliable services.
- Adhere to sound financial and governance controls to support sound resource management and financial control within the unit.
- Ensure adherence to all required compliance requirements, financial policies and supply chain policies within the bank.
- Manage departmental budgets including signing off invoices and quotes within mandate. Escalate out of budgets items to the relevant parties for approval.
- Sign off capital expenditure within budget. This includes approving purchase or sell decisions for desktop computers, laptops, departmental equipment etc.
- Develop a high performing team by embedding formal performance development and informal coaching.
- Encourage frequent knowledge sharing between team members.
- Mentoring / training team Members.
- Establish and maintain a succession plan for the team.
- Ensure leave plan is adhered to and aligned to team’s succession plan.
- Motivate team members and ensure that their efforts are recognised.
- Participate in the creation and implementation of Employee Opinion Survey (EOS) actions for the entire team.
Analytical Thinking – Basic (Meets all of the requirements), Bachelor`s Degrees and Advanced Diplomas, Digital affinity (Meets all of the requirements), Enabling team success (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Experience in a similar environment at junior specialist level, IT Infrastructure & Assets (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Openness to change (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Quality orientation (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development)