OPERATIONS MANAGER MFG (Dar es salaam) at ALAF Tanzania _ July 2023
Location: Dar es Salaam
1. Main purpose of the position:
• Lead the manufacturing function in relevant areas to deliver on the annual BPP target.
• Ensure FE and VC are within budget and output material meets customer requirements and standards.
• Work on Capex-related proposals for expansion projects in conjunction with the General manager / CEO
• Full accountability for production efficiency in the relevant areas.
• Responsible for developing and leading a team of a motivated workforce and ensuring Health, Safety, and Environmental requirements are adhered to.
• Benchmark operations with best practices and establish standard policies and procedures for each area of control.
• Implement continuous improvement and modern manufacturing methods and recommend necessary training to achieve the same.
2. Reporting into this position (designation and level)
a. Routine/Direct: Managers, Engineers, and Shift Supervisors of the relevant area.
b. Functional/Indirect: Maintenance Engineers, Warehouse/stores personnel
3. Responsibility for Internal and external relations
i.Plan and coordinate all the production activities for Pipe mills and Roofing sheets roll forming area and Wire plant.
i. To identify suitable contractors for necessary operations in the relevant area.
ii. Supervise the services provided by the above contractors to ensure the timely delivery of quality works.
iii. Liaise with TBS and be part of the Standards committee to influence the setting of relevant Standards in the country and enforce the same
4. Key responsibilities:
a. Operational Responsibilities/Tasks
To ensure plant production efficiency.
• To ensure on-time and in full production of customer orders in line with daily, weekly, and monthly targets
• To ensure efficient utilization of manpower
• To ensure proper methods are used during production processes to control losses in terms of material wastage due to non-prime generated, rework, and spillage in order to control costs.
• Ensure the continuous supply of raw materials and other consumables including safety items for proper running of production processes.
Review production staff as per set company targets from time to time
• To manage the performance and discipline of staff in the department
• Optimize human resource talent and potential
• To liaise with HR to develop training needs for his team
• To mentor and coach staff
Implementation of continual improvement systems.
• To provide leadership in the implementation of the Kaizen system
• To ensure compliance with all statutory requirements including ISO
• To prepare regular technical reports around production & maintenance.
• To prepare and implement SOPs for all areas under his/her control
• To implement ‘Product Care’ to avoid product damage during handling and storage.
• To identify suitable contractors and suppliers as and when necessary and supervise them to ensure timely delivery of quality services.
Preparation and implementation of the production Budget
• Responsible for formulating the budget for production and ensuring compliance.
• To advise the management on any equipment upgrade/retrofit/addition and provide necessary Capex/Opex estimates.
• Ensure that fixed and variable costs are monitored, reviewed, and controlled as per the budgetary guidelines.
• Ensure that WIP & FG inventory is strictly controlled and any rework materials are processed in good time.
• Ensure zero variance in stocks.
5. Job Dimensions:
a. Financial responsibilities:
• To control Variable costs and Fixed Expenses in line with BPP
b. Responsibility for Physical Assets:
• To ensure all assets under his/her control are maintained and used.
c. Budgetary responsibility:
• Responsible for formulating the production budget and ensuring compliance with the budget.
d. Responsibility for Procurement:
• Support and work with the Supply Chain department in procuring necessary items.
• Ensure that inventory is maintained at optimum levels without compromising on production efficiency.
e. Decision Making/Job influence:
• Participates in the selection of Employees
f. Working conditions:
• Working environment requires that the Operations Manager and all his/her Team wear PPEs all the time with safety as the number one priority.
Minimum academic qualification: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering /Production Engineering
Qualifications as an added advantage: Master in the above fields and/or Post Graduate qualification in Management
Professional registration: Registration with the Engineers Registration Board (ERB).
General work experience (years): 7 to 10 years in a similar Manufacturing Industry.
Specific to the position (level/discipline/years): Min 4 to 5 years managing a team Industry:
Manufacturing Industry- preferably in the Steel Sector
Key competencies and skills:
Managing Contractor workers
Planning & organizing skills
Team leadership skills
Conflict resolution skills
Effective communication skills
Microsoft Office packages ERP/SAP systems
1. Personality profile:
c. Fast-paced and prompt
e. Energetic and Enthusiastic
h. High level of integrity
2. Additional/specific work requirements:
a. Tube mills
b. Roofing sheet Roll forming production process
c. Wire products mfg. -BRC, Weldmesh, Wire nails