Medically Assisted Therapy (MAT) Program Officer at THPS. Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS) is an indigenous NGO established under nongovernmental organization act No 24 of 2002 in 2011. THPS works in partnership with the Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Community Development Gender Elderly and Special Groups; Regional Administration and Local Governments (PORALG), Ministry of Health in Zanzibar and Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA) with a goal of ensuring accessible high-quality health care and social welfare services to all Tanzanians; through strengthening of health and community systems.
THPS therefore is seeking competent, experienced, dynamic and qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below:
- Job Title: Medically Assisted Therapy (MAT) Program Officer (1 Position)
- Reports to: Regional Program Manager
- Position Location: Tanga
Purpose and Scope of Job:
The Medically Assisted Therapy (MAT) PO provides technical leadership and oversight on all MAT-related services and interventions. S/He will be guided by the National Guidelines, SOPs and other relevant authorities to keep up to date with key advances in all issues related to MAT, translating into practice key program national and global priorities in MAT and HIV prevention among People Who Inject Drugs (PWID). S/He will provide substantive technical direction on MAT services and support to other field-based THPS staff, key stakeholders at regional, and local government authorities and Civil Society Organizations and Community based organizations.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Lead and oversee the implementation, of MAT services under the Afya Hatua Project in the Tanga Region
- Provide functional and timely input in the implementation of MAT services including reporting on the progress of the planned activities and expected outputs
- Provide technical support in the implementation of integrated services including HIV, TB, STIs, and Hepatitis screening in line with National guidelines to people who inject drugs (PWID)and people who use drugs(PWUD)
- To collaborate with the facility in charge at supported MAT clinics in needs assessment on MAT services and organize the efforts to address them including relevant skills enhancement to providers, commodities, and supplies as needed in collaboration with Regional/District AIDS Control Coordinators, and Regional/ District Mental Health coordinators
- Support CBOs and CSOs in Tanga to recruit, and train clients (PWID/ PWUD) for enrollment in the MAT clinic
- Support the establishment of psychosocial support groups for MAT clients and ensure adherence to the sessions by these clients
- To ensure timelines and accuracy of relevant MAT data as well as support strengthening of the M&E systems in collaboration with the SI Technical Advisor
- To collaborate with the M&E team in analyzing and utilizing MAT data for planning, priorities and resource allocation and write reports, best practices, success stories and lessons learned for a wider dissemination
- To participate in regional and national meetings and consultations to share and disseminate THPS experience and models of MAT service integration and coordination
- To conduct mentorship to service providers on the provision of MAT service in the MAT clinic
- To engage and facilitate strategic collaboration with key technical and community-based stakeholders in HIV prevention among PWID/ PWUD including, CBOs, community leaders and other IPs
- Facilitate the procurement of reagents such as clients monitoring Urine Drug Screening (UDS) kits, hepatitis B and C reagents and other supplies for daily use at MAT clinics
- Facilitate safe and ethical transportation of Methadone drugs from the Drug Control and Enhancement Authority (DCEA) to Tumbi and Bagamoyo MAT clinics.
- Support, mentor and organize HIV screening and testing to MAT clients, index contacts tracing and defaulters tracing
- Lead efforts in writing technical program documents including work plans, reports best practices, success stories, lessons learned and other relevant documents as required by THPS
- Collaborate with RHMT to facilitate quarterly technical working groups (TWG) MAT meetings
- Coordinate and attend monthly performance reviews of the progress of the provision of MAT services
- Work with CBOs/ CSOs peer educators, on awareness creation to the community on the availability of MAT services in the region
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications. Experience & Skills required
- Medical Doctor or equivalent in a recognized Institution
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or other relevant advanced degree is an added advantage
- At least 5 years of experience working in MAT services as part of comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment services
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience of working with LGAs and civil society
- Experience working with national counterparts i.e. NACP, DCEA, PORALG and participating in MAT National TWGs
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and proven ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their application cover letter one page maximum and CV four pages maximum to email@example.com by August 16, 2023 with a subject line of ‘Position’
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates at this stage.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women, people living with HIV/AIDS and people living with disability are encouraged to apply.