Data Officer Jobs at NIMR-Mwanza May 2022
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a parastatal organization established by an Act of parliament No.23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E. 2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mwanza Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mwanza. The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as well as other diseases of public health importance.
NIMR is collaborating with the University of Oxford, UK and University of Cape Town, South Africa to conduct a two-arm cluster randomised controlled trial to test the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of ParentApp (an evidence-based parenting app for parents and caregivers of adolescents aged 10-18 years) on improving parenting, reducing violence and assessing processes and outcomes which address parenting skills that promote holistic adolescent development, specifically related to executive function and social integration using a learning through play approach. The study will be conducted in two regions- Mwanza and Shinyanga Region, in Tanzania.
On behalf of Director General, Centre Director is looking for qualified, experienced and wellmotivated individuals to join the NIMR research team, evaluating the impact of the ParentApp digital intervention for the following positions: one (1) Research Manager, one (1) Data Manager and twenty (20) Research Assistants. The post holders will be based in Mwanza, but with frequent visits and stays at the study sites and close collaboration with partner academic institutions, organisations and stakeholders.
JOB POSITION: Data Officer ( 1 post )
PROJECT TITLE: ParentApp project.
REPORTING: Project Investigator.
The Data Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day data management work on a project conducting a large randomised controlled trial of an open-source mobile application for parents and caregivers of teens aged 10 – 17. The post holder will be familiar with the implementation and evaluation of complex social interventions aiming to improve the lives of vulnerable families in Tanzania. This is an excellent opportunity to work on and contribute to be part of an international research team with wide policy and programming impact.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To manage mobile phones and services;
- To manage project data collection hardware;
- To train and provide ongoing technical support to fieldwork teams regarding technical needs and difficulties;
- To verify data and quality assurance;
- To develop data collection tools on ODK or other open access software;
- To safeguard data, storage and access processes:
- To build new quantitative datasets and managing existing ones, including complex data cleaning, variable matching and data merging;
- To provide ccompliance support;
- To aassist in the smooth running of communications regarding data management and technical matters between NIMR, Oxford, and UCT teams; and
- To perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCE:
- Bachelor Degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science computer Engineering or related field;·
- Demonstrable experience developing data collection tools to administer quantitative surveys on tablets (preference will be given to experience using open access software ODK);
- Relevant experience overseeing data storage and back-up processes for multiple large studies, including server maintenance;
- Experience in writing Data Management Plans in support of large projects and application for ethical approvals from universities research ethics committees;
- Relevant experience preparing longitudinal datasets for statistical packages (either SPSS or STATA);
- Excellent IT literacy, particularly Excel;
- Relevant experience in managing hardware for large fieldwork projects to facilitate efficient and effective fieldwork;
- Demonstrable interest in and experience in improving outcomes for vulnerable families in Sub-Saharan African communities;
- Strong communication skills and experience building collaborative relationships;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to work to tight deadlines; and
- Excellent intercultural communication, presentation and writing skills in English.
TERMS OF SERVICE: One (1) year contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be based at NIMR Mwanza Centre and regularly visits study sites in both Mwanza and Shinyanga Regions.
- A competitive salary will be offered to the successful candidate as per project budget.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Application letters should be written in English;
- Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with their reliable contacts;
- Applicants must attach their detailed relevant certified copies of academic certificates including form four and six certificates;
- Application letters should be attached with detailed curriculum vitae; and
All applications should be addressed to:
Closing date for applications is 4th May 2022