20 Research Assistants Jobs at NIMR-Mwanza May 2022
Research Assistants Jobs at NIMR-Mwanza May 2022
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a parastatal organization established by an Act of parliament No.23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E. 2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mwanza Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mwanza. The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as well as other diseases of public health importance.
NIMR is collaborating with the University of Oxford, UK and University of Cape Town, South Africa to conduct a two-arm cluster randomised controlled trial to test the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of ParentApp (an evidence-based parenting app for parents and caregivers of adolescents aged 10-18 years) on improving parenting, reducing violence and assessing processes and outcomes which address parenting skills that promote holistic adolescent development, specifically related to executive function and social integration using a learning through play approach. The study will be conducted in two regions- Mwanza and Shinyanga Region, in Tanzania.
On behalf of Director General, Centre Director is looking for qualified, experienced and wellmotivated individuals to join the NIMR research team, evaluating the impact of the ParentApp digital intervention for the following positions: one (1) Research Manager, one (1) Data Manager and twenty (20) Research Assistants. The post holders will be based in Mwanza, but with frequent visits and stays at the study sites and close collaboration with partner academic institutions, organisations and stakeholders.
JOB POSITION: Research Assistants (20 posts)
PROJECT TITLE: ParentApp project.
REPORTING: Research Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To collect Data in the field;
- To conduct qualitative and quantitative data collection;
- To transcribe and translate data and study materials;
- To participate in the analysis of qualitative data –such as coding of data;
- To write field reports; and
- To perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCE:
- Holder of Bachelor Degree in social sciences or public health;
- Experience conducting field research and preferably qualitative research;
- Report-writing skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Kiswahili and English;
- Commitment in working as part of a multidisciplinary research team;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Experience working in rural communities with low illiteracy;
- Ability to communicate in Kiswahili; and
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
TERMS OF SERVICE: One (1) year contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be based at NIMR Mwanza Centre and regularly visits study sites in both Mwanza and Shinyanga Regions
- A competitive salary will be offered to the successful candidate as per project budget.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Application letters should be written in English;
- Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with their reliable contacts;
- Applicants must attach their detailed relevant certified copies of academic certificates including form four and six certificates;
- Application letters should be attached with detailed curriculum vitae; and
All applications should be addressed to:
Closing date for applications is 4th May 2022.