How to Obtain the Italian Passport 2022. Italy is quite an appealing country for foreign citizens seeking to relocate here, mainly due to the variety of routes to obtaining citizenship here. There are several ways through which an Italian passport can be acquired, and the decision should be made based on the nationality of the applicant and the reason for immigrating to Italy.
What are the main ways to obtain an Italian passport?
Foreign nationals who want to immigrate to Italy and obtain a passport, have the following options:
- through permanent residence which is the simplest way of obtaining citizenship from a documents point of view;
- by descent, if at least one of the parents is or was an Italian citizen who left the country;
- by birth – children of foreign citizens living in Italy legally will be granted Italian citizenship;
- by marriage which is another fast route to obtaining an Italian passport;
- by investment – this last option is suitable for investors and was particularly created for non-EU citizens.