Geotechnical Engineer at North Mara Gold Mine Limited
North Mara Gold Mine Limited is seeking to recruit Geotechnical Engineer to join and grow their team. You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams. You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
About North Mara
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region. It is around 100 kilometres east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometres south of the Kenyan border.
North Mara started commercial production in 2002. The mine is a combined open pit and underground operation from two deposits, Gokona (underground) and Nyabiragena (open pit).
- Using geotechnical mapping and logging to classify rock mass and hence apply the same data on stope design and mine layouts to ensure that ore extraction proceeds promptly and safely.
- Using structural stability methods, empirical assessment and numerical modelling to arrive at ultimate support systems and determine optimum pillar sizes and stopping sequences to ensure stability of underground workings.
- Advising and assisting mine-operating officials on ground control methods to ensure optimum utilization of the available ore reserves and human resources engaged in ground control activities.
- Carrying out regular monitoring of support systems (e.g. pull tests) to ensure that the recommended support is adhered.
- Measuring of rock strength, rock stress changes, deformation and monitoring seismic activity using different rock mechanics instrumentation to ensure stability of underground and surface workings.
- Ensure Geotechnical staff, well trained to improve on the quality of services offered to the mining department and ensure compliance with Barrick policies and procedures.
- Regularly update the Ground Control Management Plan (GCMP) to improve the quality of service offered to the mining department.
- Designing and monitoring of ground support, backfill systems, and geotechnical instrumentation systems.
- Reporting in writing on geotechnical analyses, risk assessments and inspections.
- Liaising with external mining consultants.
- Collecting, analyzing and reporting of geotechnical data.
- Assist Geotechnical Superintendent to complete North Mara employee’s performance management processes.
- Act as a liaison between mine planning and operations departments coordinating rock-engineering efforts towards achieving short-term objectives.
- Bachelor Degree of Science in Mining Engineering or Geological Engineering preferably with a specialization in Ground Control, Geotechnical Engineering or Rock Mechanics.
Experience and Competencies needed
- Minimum 3 year experience in underground mining environment
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years post graduate industry underground mining experience preferably in precious metals using narrow vein long hole stopping.
- Must have a valid Tanzania driving license and able to drive a light vehicle in underground environment.
- Must have good operating knowledge and interpretation skill of popular numerical modelling tools such as DIPS, UNWEDGE, MAP3D and RS2.
- Able to work with limited supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills with contractors and mine personnel.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in both English and Swahili.
- Able to work safely and not create or ignore hazards.
- High degree of patience and tolerance.
- Must have sufficient communication skills.
- Able to maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to interpret mine layouts.
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits.
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless.
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization.