Mining Engineer: Backfil at Barrick North Mara
The Barrick North Mara Team is seeking to recruit a Mining Engineer: Backfill to join & grow our team.
Join our exceptional team and embody Barrick’s core values as you work with us. We are in search of individuals who can champion Barrick’s DNA by:
- Communicating Honestly, Transparently, and Acting with Integrity
- Exhibiting a Results-Driven approach
- Delivering solutions that are Fit for Purpose
- Dedicating themselves to Building a Sustainable Legacy
- Taking Responsibility and being Accountable
- Committing to Zero Harm
- Cultivating strong and meaningful Partnerships
If you’re ready to contribute to our world-class team while embracing these values, we encourage you to apply and become a valued member of our diverse workforce.
- Design and manage paste filling activities for the mine.
- Coordinate backfill technical activities, plant, and mining operations to meet the mining schedule.
- Create and issue mining Instructions that are aligned with the company’s standard operating procedures.
- Identify and highlight any hazards associated with paste filling activities.
- Conduct testing and inspection of the installation and management of paste fill infrastructure for the mine.
- Conduct QA/QC for backfill mix delivery and issue reports as required.
- Create and review scopes of work for capital projects required to upgrade the backfill reticulation system.
- Manage construction works for the mine’s backfill reticulation system.
- Manage contractors, suppliers, and mine employees to implement the agreed scope of work.
- Supervise and manage a team of technicians and junior engineers in backfilling activities.
- Design and implement drainage systems to manage water from backfilling.
- Complete stope filling notes and ensure filling is aligned with hydraulic filling models.
- Optimize backfill design to ensure strength and cement consumption aligns with the mine requirements.
- Continuous learning and improvement to ensure industry best practices are applied in backfill operations.
- Demonstrate visible safety leadership to the team and live the Barrick DNA.
- At least 3 safety leadership interactions to be completed each week.
- Complete field level risk assessments for every task assigned and record the same.
- Timely reporting of all accidents/incidents to supervisors.
- Bachelor’s degree of greater in Mechanical/Mining/Civil Engineering (required)
- Project management certificate or other qualification (optional).
Experience and competencies needed.
- At least 3 years post-graduate experience in underground mining construction/backfill/ operations.
- Have completed at least 2 years of working experience in backfill reticulation/installation/maintenance.
- Well-developed communication skills as well as the ability to interact with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong Safety Background and ability to drive a safe working environment and practices.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal.
- Excellent communication skills in English language.
- Computer skills –MS Excel, Access, Word, Outlook.
- Excellent skills in the use of common mining CAD software such as Deswik, Vulcan or Surpac.
- Excellent skills in the use of scheduling software, Deswik Sched and/or MS Project.
- Hazard Identification & Risk Assessment.
- Possess a valid light vehicle manual-class driving license.
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits.
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless.
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization