Temporary skill shortage visa (subclass 482).The TSS visa, or 482 visa, is a temporary visa that permits the holder to live in Australia, while working full-time for the sponsoring employer, in a nominated occupation which is listed on the Short Skilled List or Medium Long Term Skilled List.
Temporary skill shortage visa (subclass 482)
From March 2018, the Australian Government introduced a new work visa in replacement of the 457 visa – the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa.
What Does this 482 Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa allow you to do?
The TSS visa is a temporary visa which permits the holder to live in Australia, while working full-time for the sponsoring employer, in the nominated position. Applicants for a TSS visa may include dependent family members in their application.
There is no age limit for a TSS visa however, there is for Permanent Residency. If you are granted a visa in an MLTSSL occupation and intend to apply for permanent residency after three years of working for the same sponsor, you will need to be under 45 at the time of lodging your permanent residency application; unless you meet the exemptions.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE TSS VISA?
The TSS visa has a short-term stream and a medium-term stream. Applicants with occupations on the Short-Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) are eligible for visas of up to two years (renewable once, for a further two years), whilst those on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) can apply for up to four years, with eligibility for permanent residency after three years.
482 visa Australia requirements
TSS Visa Requirements
You are required to:
- Have a job offer
- At least two years’ experience in the position
- Genuine intention to work in the nominated position
- Qualifications that are relevant to the position
- Adequate arrangements for health insurance
- Meet health, character and English requirements
TSS nomination (position) requirements
- A genuine, full-time position
- Work in the sponsor’s business, unless an associated entity
- A salary in line with market rates, not below $53,900
- Subject to Labour Market Testing, unless exemptions apply
- On the relevant occupation lists
482 visa document checklist
- Passport and ID.
- Experience and qualifications.
- Skills assessment documents.
- Proof of English proficiency.
- Health insurance.
- Evidence of your good character.
- Documents for your partner.
- Documents for your minor children.
482 visa streams
There are three streams applicable to the TSS 482:
- The Short-Term Stream
Applicants with occupations on the Short-Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) may be eligible for visas of up to two years, renewable onshore once, for a further two years, and potentially renewable for an additional two-year period if applying from offshore. You must continue to meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements;
- The Medium & Long-Term Stream and Regional Stream
Applicants on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL) can apply for up to four years (with eligibility for permanent residency after three years, depending on meeting age, English, Health and Character requirements);
- The Labour Agreement Stream
Can a TSS 482 Visa Lead to Permanent Residency?
There is no obligation for an employer to sponsor you for permanent residency. It’s dependent on the business needs and whether or not there is an ongoing need for the full-time position.
Generally speaking occupations nominated from the MLTSSL occupation list will provide a pathway to permanent residency through the 186 Visa Subclass.
From 1 July 2022, Subclass 482 (TSS) visa holders on the Short-term List (STSOL) will be able to apply for permanent residency through the 186 Visa Subclass if they were:
- Were in Australia as the holder of a 482 TSS visa for periods that total at least 12 months between 1 February 2020 and 14 February 2021; and
- Are a current holder of a 482 TSS visa and meet the criteria for the 186 Subclass visa
The grandfathering period for those who held, or had applied for a 457 visa as of 17 April 2017 has also been extended.